4. Khanh Hoa from 1945 until now:
On March 9th 1945, the Japanese toppled the France, assigned Khanh Hoa province to Vietnamese mandarins to manage, provincial administrative offices moved to Nha Trang. Since then, Nha Trang officially became the administrative centre of Khanh Hoa province.
In Autumn of 1945 the August Revolution succeeded, Khanh Hoa belonged to revolutionary government of Vietnam Democratic Republic. But just over two months later, the end of French colonialism, American imperialism returned to conquer Khanh Hoa. Khanh Hoa people stood up to against the French and American over 30 years uninterrupted. During that time, administrative geography of Khanh Hoa province had changed to fit the situation...
1955, under the Republic of Vietnam, Khanh Hoa province was reorganized
in all respects. The districts, towns were changed to the urban
districts. The villages changed to communes. In May 1959, both districts
Krang Ying and Krang Hinh of Dak Lak province were merged into Khanh
Hoa province and built Khanh Duong urban district. In April 1960, 12
hamlets of Cam Lam district were seperated from Khanh Hoa to merge Du
Long urban district, Ninh Thuan province. In October 1965, an area of
Cam Lam in Southern was seperated to set up Cam Ranh town under the
central (especially area of Cam Ranh).
On the first, second and third of April 1975, the Liberation Army of South Vietnam
respectively took over Ninh Hoa, Nha Trang and Cam Ranh. The transfer
of government took place in peace because most army of Republic of
Vietnam withdrew Phan Rang defence line.
After the victory in spring 1975, November 1975, the two provinces of Phu Yen and Khanh Hoa merged into Phu Khanh province. In 1977, the Nha Trang town was upgraded to Nha Trang city, Cam Ranh town was merged into Cam Lam district became Cam Ranh district.
On December 28th 1982, VII National Assembly, 4th session, decided to merge the Spratly district into Phu Khanh province. On June 30th
1989, the National Assembly of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam
Session VIII (The fifth session) separated Phu Khanh province to two
provinces of Phu Yen and Khanh Hoa.
On April 22nd 1999, Nha Trang city was recognized as the second – level town in Khanh Hoa province
On July 7th 2000, Cam Ranh district was upgraded to Cam Ranh Town.
On April 11th
2007, the Government issued Decree No. 65/2007/ND-CP on the adjustment
of administrative boundaries of some districts, towns and communes in
Khanh Hoa province to establish new Cam Lam district and some new
communes, towns. At Spratly district established Spratly town on the
basis of the Big Spratly Island and the islands, rocks, vicinity
beaches; establishing Song Tu Tay commune on the basis of Song Tu Tay
Island and the islands, rocks, beach vicinity; Establishing Sinh Ton
commune on the basis of Sinh Ton Island and the islands, rocks, vicinity
On April 22nd 2009, Nha Trang city was recognized as the first level town under Khanh Hoa province
On October 26th 2010, the Government decided to establish the town of Ninh Hoa under Khanh Hoa province on the basis of entire 119, 777 hectares of natural area and 233,558 inhabitants of the old Ninh Hoa district.
On December 23rd 2010, Cam Ranh town was officially recognized as a city under Khanh Hoa province.
Regarding to the current administrative organization, Khanh Hoa has 2 cities are Nha Trang and Cam Ranh, 1 town Ninh Hoa and 6 districts of Dien Khanh, Khanh Vinh and Khanh Son, Cam Lam, Van Ninh and Truong Sa island district.