Joint Circular No. 198/2015/TTLT-BTC-BTNMT dated December 7, 2015 of the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment regulating marine use is classified into the following groups:
- Group 1: Using the sea area to exploit wind energy, wave, tidal and ocean currents;
- Group 2: Using the sea area to build underground pipelines, installing telecommunication cables and electric cables;
- Group 3: Use of marine areas to build floating projects, underground, artificial islands, civil construction works on the sea, sea encroachment activities;
- Group 4: Use of sea areas to build seaport water area, floating ports, petroleum ports and other ports and wharves (including: waters in front of wharves, ship turning areas, anchorage areas, transshipment zones, pilot landing areas, quarantine areas, areas for construction of seaport fairways and other auxiliary works), water areas in service of establishments to repair, build new ships, build fishing ports and fishing wharves; water areas in services of entertainment activities, pick up and drop off passengers, anchorage areas, night stay of tourist boats; mineral exploration, exploitation, exploitation of seawater cooling plants; salvage artifacts and archeology;
- Group 5: Using the sea area to dump dredged mud;
- Group 6: Other sea area use activities.